I have decided that I am going to go green. I have several patterns and I am going to start making grocery bags for myself and anyone else I can pass them on to...I've been wanting to do this anyway cuz I hate those plastic bags. I always liked the paper sacks we used to get . We would use those to cover our school books with when our bookcovers got too dirty. My Mom would use them for all kinds of things. We'd take them apart and draw on them. We'd cut them up and make paper hats out of them.... We were recycling when we didn't know what the word really meant....Do you remember saving your newspapers and having paper drives at the schools? My grandmother used to put newspapers in her quilts when she didn't have money for batting...She also used newspaper to cut out her patterns AND she sewed directly on the newspaper just like paper piecing today.
One of my favorite dresses when I was a kid, was made out of a sugar sack. I thought it was the most beautiful dress I had ever seen. It had red roses on it and I thought I was really something. We used feed sacks for dish towels and for diapers too.
We bought oatmeal that had the glasses in it just so we could have the glass. My Grandmother dipped snuff and she always saved her snuff glasses for drinking glasses. Jelly used to come in glasses too and we saved those for drinking glasses.
Isn't it funny how you do things all your life and then whamo, somebody comes along and names it something and gets credit for starting something? I've always turned the lights out when I leave a room, don't run water when I'm brushing my teeth, put a brick in my toilet to reduce the water needed, catch water off the house to water my plants, save plastic and aluminum for recycling....etc, etc, etc. I just thought it was using common sense.
Quilts/Knitting or anything else I Want to Make
April Get It Done Challenge List
Free Motion Quilting Blogs and websites
Getting It Done Challenge List
- March Challenge List
- Bind my Thimbleberries Garden Quilt-done 03-05-13
- Quilt & Bind the Brown Bow Tie Quilt - done- 03-11-13
- Quilt & Bind the Red Scrap Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the 2nd D4P Quilt
- February Challenge List
- Bind my Thimbleberries Garden Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Brown Bow Tie Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Red Scrap Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Red & White Christmas tablerunner-done
Little feet calendar
Amy's BOM Website
2011 UFO Challenge List
- 1. 30's Sampler..I'm still working on this one!
- 2. English Paper Piecing Baby Quilt-A Little of This A Little of That-flimsy completed 02-04-11, ready for quilting!
- 3. Scrappy BOM - Flimsy completed 01-28-11, ready for quilting!
- 4. Purple Stack and Whack- flimsy is together, ready for quilting
- 5. Blue 9 Patches - flimsy is together, ready for quilting
- 6. The Moose Quilt-still in pieces.
- 7. Row By Row Quilt, quilted-binding is on but needs to be sewn down.
- 8. Hexagon Magic- flimsy completed 02-01-11, ready for quilting!
- 9. Santa Claus Quilt-ready for quilting.
- 10. Hand Pieced Stars
- Nov 21-Oh, My Stars!
- Oct 18- Boo Quilt
- Oct 10 - Christmas Tree Quilt
- Oct 10 -Turning Twenty (30's Repro) Quilt
- Sept 25- Baked Alaska-quilt top for LQS
- Sept 25 -Table Manners
- Sept 20 - Dear Blanche
- Sept 15 -Funny Flowers
- Sept 7- Pink Toile Nursery Rhyme Quilt top for Carolyn
- August 16- Plaid Teddy Bear
- August 16-Red Heart Tablerunner
- August 9 - Mother Goose
- July 27-Autumn Braid Tablerunner
- February 27- I Love to Fly-donation quilt
- Feb 20 - Warm Fuzzies-Donation Quilt
- Feb 7 - My Sewing Friends Quilt
- Feb 1 - Nostalgic Garden Quilt
- January 25 - Love Pillowcase for Alayna
- January 12 - Pillowcases for Thomas Quilt