Here's some pictures of what I did today. I am doing a binding class for my sewing group. Some of them are quilters and some are not but they wanted me to show them how to bind a quilt. I had to come up with something that all of them would like and be able to use even if they didn't want to make a quilt. I used cheater cloth, cotton batting and the silver silicone fabric (you know, like on ironing boards) to come up with this project. I made blocks as large as 11 1/2 inches and as small as 10 inches, whatever I could get out of the fabric....I quilted these blocks "in the ditch" and I will let the girls sew on the binding in class. The finished product can either be used for a hot pad or a little ironing mat for classes or retreats.
Here's what the finished products look like... I hope they like them. This is the first one I made out of small left over fabrics. I just sewed small pieces together and came up with a size I thought was workable.
One of my friends was throwing this away but gave it to me when I told her not to throw fabric out. This was one of those pre printed panels, you know like for pillows or small wall quilts. I think it turned out real cute even if I do say so myself plus it will come in handy to iron on in a class.
All of the fabric and the batting was left over from other quilts. I didn't buy anything for this project and I hope my friends like my idea. I guess I'll find out in May when I teach this little class. I might use up some of my orphan blocks for these in the future, depending on the response of this class. I want to see how well received they are before I make up my mind.
til next time....
Quilting the Dream Goddess Part 2
1 day ago