Here's some pictures of what I did today. I am doing a binding class for my sewing group. Some of them are quilters and some are not but they wanted me to show them how to bind a quilt. I had to come up with something that all of them would like and be able to use even if they didn't want to make a quilt. I used cheater cloth, cotton batting and the silver silicone fabric (you know, like on ironing boards) to come up with this project. I made blocks as large as 11 1/2 inches and as small as 10 inches, whatever I could get out of the fabric....I quilted these blocks "in the ditch" and I will let the girls sew on the binding in class. The finished product can either be used for a hot pad or a little ironing mat for classes or retreats.
Here's what the finished products look like... I hope they like them. This is the first one I made out of small left over fabrics. I just sewed small pieces together and came up with a size I thought was workable.
One of my friends was throwing this away but gave it to me when I told her not to throw fabric out. This was one of those pre printed panels, you know like for pillows or small wall quilts. I think it turned out real cute even if I do say so myself plus it will come in handy to iron on in a class.
All of the fabric and the batting was left over from other quilts. I didn't buy anything for this project and I hope my friends like my idea. I guess I'll find out in May when I teach this little class. I might use up some of my orphan blocks for these in the future, depending on the response of this class. I want to see how well received they are before I make up my mind.
til next time....
My Other Blogs
Quilts/Knitting or anything else I Want to Make
April Get It Done Challenge List
Free Motion Quilting Blogs and websites
Getting It Done Challenge List
- March Challenge List
- Bind my Thimbleberries Garden Quilt-done 03-05-13
- Quilt & Bind the Brown Bow Tie Quilt - done- 03-11-13
- Quilt & Bind the Red Scrap Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the 2nd D4P Quilt
- February Challenge List
- Bind my Thimbleberries Garden Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Brown Bow Tie Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Red Scrap Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Red & White Christmas tablerunner-done
Little feet calendar
Amy's BOM Website
2011 UFO Challenge List
- 1. 30's Sampler..I'm still working on this one!
- 2. English Paper Piecing Baby Quilt-A Little of This A Little of That-flimsy completed 02-04-11, ready for quilting!
- 3. Scrappy BOM - Flimsy completed 01-28-11, ready for quilting!
- 4. Purple Stack and Whack- flimsy is together, ready for quilting
- 5. Blue 9 Patches - flimsy is together, ready for quilting
- 6. The Moose Quilt-still in pieces.
- 7. Row By Row Quilt, quilted-binding is on but needs to be sewn down.
- 8. Hexagon Magic- flimsy completed 02-01-11, ready for quilting!
- 9. Santa Claus Quilt-ready for quilting.
- 10. Hand Pieced Stars
- Nov 21-Oh, My Stars!
- Oct 18- Boo Quilt
- Oct 10 - Christmas Tree Quilt
- Oct 10 -Turning Twenty (30's Repro) Quilt
- Sept 25- Baked Alaska-quilt top for LQS
- Sept 25 -Table Manners
- Sept 20 - Dear Blanche
- Sept 15 -Funny Flowers
- Sept 7- Pink Toile Nursery Rhyme Quilt top for Carolyn
- August 16- Plaid Teddy Bear
- August 16-Red Heart Tablerunner
- August 9 - Mother Goose
- July 27-Autumn Braid Tablerunner
- February 27- I Love to Fly-donation quilt
- Feb 20 - Warm Fuzzies-Donation Quilt
- Feb 7 - My Sewing Friends Quilt
- Feb 1 - Nostalgic Garden Quilt
- January 25 - Love Pillowcase for Alayna
- January 12 - Pillowcases for Thomas Quilt