I came home yesterday and started setting out my blocks from my exchange. We finished our exchange Thursday night and I now have all of my blocks to do this quilt. I couldn't wait to get home and start this quilt. I put them all out on my design wall and started arranging/rearranging until I got them like I wanted. I sewed up the middle section and then started on the top section.
I sewed those two sections up and then stopped. I came downstairs and watched TV and tatted on my flag. I decided I would get up early and try to finish this top up...It was going together very well but it was more time consuming than I thought it would be. It was set on point for the top and bottom sections and that always throws me a little. I decided I wasn't going to rush this.
I got up this morning and made my coffee, looked around at some blogs and went upstairs. I moved my portable design wall closer to me and I was able to just turn around and pick up the blocks and sew them in the order they needed to be. It was much easier. I sewed a few and pressed and I was going along pretty good...My dog, Brandi wanted to go out so I thought this was a good time to take a potty break too. I went downstairs and let her out and piddled around in the kitchen putting dishes in the dishwasher. I guess I was downstairs for maybe 15 minutes before I went back at it. I went back upstairs and started sewing again but I started smelling something really funky....Not a good smell, either. I got up and walked over to the ironing board and smoke was coming off of my iron. I thought hmmm, smells like something rubbed up against it like plastic. I grabbed it and ran it along the end of the ironing board and it immediately scorched the ironing board cover. It was so hot! I unplugged it immediately and that's the end of that one! I'm so glad I was up there when this happened. It was so hot, I think it was close to bursting into flames. I'm also glad I didn't put it on my fabric. Boy, I would have been highly upset about that! Anyway, I was very fortunate today and have learned a good lesson from this. Don't go out of the room and leave your iron on (or any appliance, for that matter.) Turn them off just to be safe.
My Rowenta is the one that got so hot...I loved this iron, it was a great one...
I put all the blocks together and put my final borders on. I pulled out another iron and did my final press with this old thing. I picked this up at my small group. I got it for a small donation. One of our members brought it up to sell in our garage sale cause the steam part didn't work. I don't use steam so I bought it. It's nice and heavy and gets pretty hot. I will definitely watch it though now.
I'll be using this nice, heavy Sunbeam for a while...
My quilt top is together and no fires, so I'm a happy camper! Here's my top, I did this from the last issue of The Quilt Sampler magazine. There's a new issue out now but this one's still available somewhere.
Finally, a finished top. I think it turned out ok. If I had it to do over, I would make sure the pinwheels were darker so the album blocks and basket blocks would show up better. Other than that, I'm very pleased. The top went together very good and all the blocks were pretty accurate.
Here's the magazine that this pattern came out of.
Here's the picture in the magazine so you can see what the top looked like there...
Quilts/Knitting or anything else I Want to Make
April Get It Done Challenge List
Free Motion Quilting Blogs and websites
Getting It Done Challenge List
- March Challenge List
- Bind my Thimbleberries Garden Quilt-done 03-05-13
- Quilt & Bind the Brown Bow Tie Quilt - done- 03-11-13
- Quilt & Bind the Red Scrap Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the 2nd D4P Quilt
- February Challenge List
- Bind my Thimbleberries Garden Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Brown Bow Tie Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Red Scrap Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Red & White Christmas tablerunner-done
Little feet calendar
Amy's BOM Website
2011 UFO Challenge List
- 1. 30's Sampler..I'm still working on this one!
- 2. English Paper Piecing Baby Quilt-A Little of This A Little of That-flimsy completed 02-04-11, ready for quilting!
- 3. Scrappy BOM - Flimsy completed 01-28-11, ready for quilting!
- 4. Purple Stack and Whack- flimsy is together, ready for quilting
- 5. Blue 9 Patches - flimsy is together, ready for quilting
- 6. The Moose Quilt-still in pieces.
- 7. Row By Row Quilt, quilted-binding is on but needs to be sewn down.
- 8. Hexagon Magic- flimsy completed 02-01-11, ready for quilting!
- 9. Santa Claus Quilt-ready for quilting.
- 10. Hand Pieced Stars
- Nov 21-Oh, My Stars!
- Oct 18- Boo Quilt
- Oct 10 - Christmas Tree Quilt
- Oct 10 -Turning Twenty (30's Repro) Quilt
- Sept 25- Baked Alaska-quilt top for LQS
- Sept 25 -Table Manners
- Sept 20 - Dear Blanche
- Sept 15 -Funny Flowers
- Sept 7- Pink Toile Nursery Rhyme Quilt top for Carolyn
- August 16- Plaid Teddy Bear
- August 16-Red Heart Tablerunner
- August 9 - Mother Goose
- July 27-Autumn Braid Tablerunner
- February 27- I Love to Fly-donation quilt
- Feb 20 - Warm Fuzzies-Donation Quilt
- Feb 7 - My Sewing Friends Quilt
- Feb 1 - Nostalgic Garden Quilt
- January 25 - Love Pillowcase for Alayna
- January 12 - Pillowcases for Thomas Quilt