Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Working on blocks and my ASG meeting
Last night was my ASG meeting. I gave out block 3, Spools for them to work on this month. I had good and bad feedback from them about the last block. Nearly everyone liked the blocks except for two people. One girl said she didn't want to do anymore half square triangles. She said she had alot of trouble with them. I told her I was sorry but she would have to deal with them again cuz the block this month used them too... That got me to thinking. I remember when I first started piecing...I didn't like to do flying geese. I had so much trouble with the triangles lining up properly and I would always cut off the tips or beaks or points or whatever you want to call them... Today, I know I can do flying geese about 5 or 6 different ways now and that goes for half square triangles too. It just depends what method I want to use as to which way I do them. Starting out though, I thought it all had to be done one way or it wasn't right. Isn't it funny how time, effort and knowledge of your subject make such a difference in your comfort level? This lady was so stressed out about the block, I don't think she enjoyed it at all. Piecing is not always easy to learn and people learn different ways to do things. Some learn from seeing, some from reading, some from doing, etc...I am fortunate that I can read and do it but it is always helpful to see it too. Youtube has some good videos on making half square triangles so I'm going to suggest those to her. I found some by going to Youtube and typing in quilting for beginners. Then looking for half square triangles. There are several but the ones I wanted her to see are from the Missouri Star Quilt Co. and from Quiltbug. Isn't the internet great? I love it that we live it this age where we have all this knowledge at our fingertips...til next time....
Quilts/Knitting or anything else I Want to Make
April Get It Done Challenge List
Free Motion Quilting Blogs and websites
Getting It Done Challenge List
- March Challenge List
- Bind my Thimbleberries Garden Quilt-done 03-05-13
- Quilt & Bind the Brown Bow Tie Quilt - done- 03-11-13
- Quilt & Bind the Red Scrap Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the 2nd D4P Quilt
- February Challenge List
- Bind my Thimbleberries Garden Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Brown Bow Tie Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Red Scrap Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Red & White Christmas tablerunner-done
Little feet calendar
Amy's BOM Website
2011 UFO Challenge List
- 1. 30's Sampler..I'm still working on this one!
- 2. English Paper Piecing Baby Quilt-A Little of This A Little of That-flimsy completed 02-04-11, ready for quilting!
- 3. Scrappy BOM - Flimsy completed 01-28-11, ready for quilting!
- 4. Purple Stack and Whack- flimsy is together, ready for quilting
- 5. Blue 9 Patches - flimsy is together, ready for quilting
- 6. The Moose Quilt-still in pieces.
- 7. Row By Row Quilt, quilted-binding is on but needs to be sewn down.
- 8. Hexagon Magic- flimsy completed 02-01-11, ready for quilting!
- 9. Santa Claus Quilt-ready for quilting.
- 10. Hand Pieced Stars
- Nov 21-Oh, My Stars!
- Oct 18- Boo Quilt
- Oct 10 - Christmas Tree Quilt
- Oct 10 -Turning Twenty (30's Repro) Quilt
- Sept 25- Baked Alaska-quilt top for LQS
- Sept 25 -Table Manners
- Sept 20 - Dear Blanche
- Sept 15 -Funny Flowers
- Sept 7- Pink Toile Nursery Rhyme Quilt top for Carolyn
- August 16- Plaid Teddy Bear
- August 16-Red Heart Tablerunner
- August 9 - Mother Goose
- July 27-Autumn Braid Tablerunner
- February 27- I Love to Fly-donation quilt
- Feb 20 - Warm Fuzzies-Donation Quilt
- Feb 7 - My Sewing Friends Quilt
- Feb 1 - Nostalgic Garden Quilt
- January 25 - Love Pillowcase for Alayna
- January 12 - Pillowcases for Thomas Quilt