This week has been horrible. I started getting sick Tuesday and came home from work early. I have been off all week with this and haven't felt like doing anything but laying around. I guess it was a virus. Wednesday, my husband came home with it and Thursday my son came home sick. It has not been any fun to be at our house this week. My son and husband went back to work today, not completely 100% but able to deal... I finally felt good enough to do a little house cleaning and sewing. So, this week has been very unproductive.
I have sprayed my house down with Lysol and washed all the sheets, towels and cleaned all the bathrooms to prevent us getting sick again. After that, I was able to finally get a little bit of sewing done.
I didn't feel good enough to work on anything until last night. I started hand stitching this little pincushion. I finished it and stuffed it this morning...I had done this one before but it didn't turn out right so, I redid it. Here's the correct one. Isn't it funny how you can have the same pieces and if you sew it together wrong, it makes two different things? Well, that just about says quilting all over it, doesn't it?
I'm still going to do this one again. I really didn't want the green on top. I wanted the color that's on the bottom to be the fabric on top. Now that I know how to do the pattern, it will be easier next time. This is really what it is supposed to look like.
This is what I ended up with the first time...
Quite a difference, huh?
I should have told you earlier where I found the pattern for the pincushion. So, shame on me for not telling you. It was from a fellow blogger named Mae Britt from Abyquilt and here's a link to the pincushion. It was alot of fun to make.
I sewed the last row onto an organized scrap quilt and I'm calling this one done. I have more scraps and might make something else but this one's big enough. This fabric was leftover from three quilts I made a few years back. The quilt was called Starry Night and it was a Marti Michell quilt. I had to make three of the same quilt because one was for the girl that started the shop sample and had an accident. I made one for myself and I gave another away. I was really tired of this quilt by the time I finished working on these and I just put all the scraps away. I had some fairly big scrap pieces but not enough to do anything fancy. I saw a Moda University pattern and decided to do it. It was called La Jardin (I think-I can't lay my hands on the pattern right this minute). It really wasn't even necessary to have a pattern for this one. Anyway, I think this will look just fine quilted and bound in the lighter blue fabric. I have just enough left for binding. It's not anything fancy but I like the fabrics and always did.
After that was done, I finished up block 12 of the Jelly Roll quilt along...(I know mine is a little different than the pattern but this is how I wanted it)
and I sewed it into the flimsy...I don't have any border fabric. I'm still looking in my stash to see if I can use anything. If not, I'll check with the LQS and see if they have any fabrics from this line left. If not, I might just have to order something online to finish this one off...I really like this one and want to stay in the same family if I can. I'll show you again when the border's on.
While I was sewing this little quilt, my lovely little sewing machine and I were fighting. Ms. Bernina was being stubborn and kept stopping while I tried to sew. She kept freezing up. I kept pushing her along...turning her off and on to get her going again, and we finished up. (I guess she caught a virus from me too.) I was getting so much done today too...Ms. Bernina and I made a trip into town to the Bernina shop and my favorite repair man was waiting for me. I had called ahead to make sure he was there and he met me at the door and carried the sick little lady in for me. He took her in and checked her out while I sat in on a free demo. I looked around, purchased some fabric for the sashings and backing for the Crazy Patch Christmas blocks I showed a few days/weeks ago. I'll finish them up next. Anyway, he was able to fix Ms. Bernina up with cleaning, oiling and some sort of new sensor and I was able to bring her home with me. I don't know if I'll have time to sew on her anymore today but I'm going to try later. Have a good weekend and happy sewing...
Leah's Casual Cam - Hand Binding on the Couch
20 minutes ago