Friday night I put a small top on the frame. My first one... Should we say, learning curve???? I watched the video and read the little book that came with it. I put it on the frame correctly but... I'm not crazy about the tension on the frame. I'm not crazy about the Leader cloths. I'm definitely going to make different ones of those. I sure wasted alot of time and have nothing to show for it. I took it off the frame and reviewed my efforts. Not good. I am too ashamed to show you my efforts. On the first pass, I forgot to lower the presser foot so you know what that means? It looked good on top but the bottom had all kinds of eyelash length thread everywhere. I was surprised that my thread didn't break. This is not a true Long Arm, it is a sewing machine and has to be treated like one. I have to remember that one. I learned so much on this one little top but not enough.
To have this machine, I had to move some stuff around. When we were rearranging, I noticed one of my bookshelves didn't look right. The top shelf had collapsed and had caused the next two shelves below it to collapse too. You know, like the domino effect.
My husband fixed my bookshelf and I reshelved some books. I have decided I'm definitely cutting back on my book buying. I'm also going to sell some books, give some away to friends and to the guild. I am going on a no-buy diet...no more books or magazines, no more gadgets, no more anything for at least 6 months. At least I'm going to try really hard.
I put some fabric on the machine on Saturday and tried again. Better this time but not great. I can definitely see why the Long Armers say to have at least 3-4" around your quilt on all sides. I'm getting there but still not ready to put an actual quilt on. I'll be practicing for awhile I think....
I didn't get anything accomplished over the weekend except practicing. I learned alot but have nothing to show yet. I was kind of discouraged but I keep telling myself it takes time to learn anything so I'm not going to beat myself up too badly.
My sewing room is looking better though and that makes me feel more organized so I do feel good about that. I can find more things now. All my books are on bookshelves now instead of on the floor. That's alot better and now I can go through and purge...so, I guess I did get a little done this weekend.
Quilts/Knitting or anything else I Want to Make
April Get It Done Challenge List
Free Motion Quilting Blogs and websites
Getting It Done Challenge List
- March Challenge List
- Bind my Thimbleberries Garden Quilt-done 03-05-13
- Quilt & Bind the Brown Bow Tie Quilt - done- 03-11-13
- Quilt & Bind the Red Scrap Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the 2nd D4P Quilt
- February Challenge List
- Bind my Thimbleberries Garden Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Brown Bow Tie Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Red Scrap Quilt
- Quilt & Bind the Red & White Christmas tablerunner-done
Little feet calendar
Amy's BOM Website
2011 UFO Challenge List
- 1. 30's Sampler..I'm still working on this one!
- 2. English Paper Piecing Baby Quilt-A Little of This A Little of That-flimsy completed 02-04-11, ready for quilting!
- 3. Scrappy BOM - Flimsy completed 01-28-11, ready for quilting!
- 4. Purple Stack and Whack- flimsy is together, ready for quilting
- 5. Blue 9 Patches - flimsy is together, ready for quilting
- 6. The Moose Quilt-still in pieces.
- 7. Row By Row Quilt, quilted-binding is on but needs to be sewn down.
- 8. Hexagon Magic- flimsy completed 02-01-11, ready for quilting!
- 9. Santa Claus Quilt-ready for quilting.
- 10. Hand Pieced Stars
- Nov 21-Oh, My Stars!
- Oct 18- Boo Quilt
- Oct 10 - Christmas Tree Quilt
- Oct 10 -Turning Twenty (30's Repro) Quilt
- Sept 25- Baked Alaska-quilt top for LQS
- Sept 25 -Table Manners
- Sept 20 - Dear Blanche
- Sept 15 -Funny Flowers
- Sept 7- Pink Toile Nursery Rhyme Quilt top for Carolyn
- August 16- Plaid Teddy Bear
- August 16-Red Heart Tablerunner
- August 9 - Mother Goose
- July 27-Autumn Braid Tablerunner
- February 27- I Love to Fly-donation quilt
- Feb 20 - Warm Fuzzies-Donation Quilt
- Feb 7 - My Sewing Friends Quilt
- Feb 1 - Nostalgic Garden Quilt
- January 25 - Love Pillowcase for Alayna
- January 12 - Pillowcases for Thomas Quilt